St Peter into Jeremie final with extra time win at St Clement

St Peter into Jeremie final with extra time win at St Clement
St Clement and St Peter are the two form teams in Jersey football so far this season

Jersey league leaders St Peter secured a spot in the final of Guernsey's Jeremie Cup, battling to a 2-1 extra time triumph over St Clement in Saturday's semi.

With temperatures only just above freezing, Jamie Watling's close-range strike early in the second half put St Peter ahead, but the hosts were soon back on level terms when Ryan Campos turned in a rebound from Karl Hinds' initial effort.

Harrison Moon went closest to putting the Cross Keys back ahead in normal time but saw his overhead effort crash against the woodwork with just five minutes to go.

The winner came two minutes into the second half of extra time, a looping Jack Griffin volley finding its way in to set up a showdown with Northerners or Sylvans in the final.

St Clement v St Peter match action
St Peter are top of the Jersey Premiership, with St Clement in second spot

Played out in "sunglasses and scarf" weather, the puddles behind the goal at the far end were still frozen over, a clear demonstration of how bitterly cold this lunchtime clash was. The top two teams in Jersey slogging it out with a cup final spot on the line, this was how local grassroots football was meant to be.

The sides had gone into this semi-final without a regulation loss between them this season. The only blemish being a game between these teams back in August, which St Clement won comfortably but with an ineligible player in their ranks - the win therefore being awarded to the Cross Keys instead. Neither group is used to losing.

The hosts started the brightest and could have gone ahead as early as the third minute, but prolific striker Hinds dragged his shot wide of the far post.

Soon after, from St Clement's first corner of the game, Patrick O'Toole's volley was cleared off the line. At the other end a similar opportunity fell to Sean Lambert, but his hit couldn't find its way through a crowded penalty area.

St Clement had looked the most likely to break the deadlock but first-half chances were few and far between.

St Peter were Jeremie Cup runners-up last season, losing to Grouville

The Anchors were nearly ahead two minutes after the restart, when Hinds span in behind the defence but St Peter goalkeeper Harry Gladdish was quickly off his line to save with his feet.

The opener came when a corner from the right fell at the feet of Watling. His first effort was blocked but he wasn't going to miss with his second.

The lead lasted just four minutes though. Gladdish again saved from Hinds, but Campos was in the right place to capitalise despite half-hearted appeals for offside.

With just over quarter of an hour to go, St Peter substitute Hugo Pereira went to ground in the area, with Guernsey-based referee Ben Boardman waving away the loud penalty appeals.

Moon's overhead effort and a well-saved shot on the turn couldn't prevent the tie going to an additional 30 minutes, nor could Campos as he put a dangerous-looking free kick into an awkward area but there was no one there to convert.

A good crowd of around 100 were to get an extra 30 minutes of action, albeit some chose to spend it in the relative warmth of the clubhouse. A deflected shot from Moon was followed by a Watling header over the bar as the visitors enjoyed a particularly good spell.

There were, understandably, some tired legs out there. But with 107 minutes on the clock and the prospect of penalties looming large, up stepped Griffin to hit a looping volley across goal and in to settle the tie.

St Clement v St Peter match action
St Clement could not find a second equaliser deep into extra time

St Peter and St Clement are both also in the semis of this season's Wheway Cup, next month, but in separate halves of the draw.

St Clement: Daniel Tostevin, Ryan Campos, Charlie Batty, Dan Burton, JJ Lloyd, Joe Brophy, Bruno Da Silva, Olly Rivers, Karl Hinds, Patrick O'Toole, Charlie Yates. Subs: Olly Reynolds, David Banks, Tom Harris, Michael De Barros, Kushal Frankson.

St Peter: Harry Gladdish, Elliot Poole (c), Jamie Watling, Jack Griffin, James Murphy, Darren Coyle, Seaney McColgan, Dane McCormick, Harrison Moon, Sean Lambert, Harry Scott. Subs: Pierce Roche, Liam Spencer, Steve McDonald, Hugo Pereira.

Referee: Ben Boardman (Guernsey)

HT: 0-0, FT: 1-1, AET: 1-2