Jersey Premiership 1: St Ouen beat Wanderers for first win

Jersey Premiership 1: St Ouen beat Wanderers for first win
St Ouen came back from 1-0 down in the second half to beat Jersey Wanderers

Bottom side St Ouen celebrated their first league win of the season at the 11th time of asking, coming from behind to see off Jersey Wanderers 3-1 in miserable weather.

Despite Wanderers having less of the possession and territory, they led at half time thanks to Renato Geraldo's looping header just before the break.

The hosts were level on the hour mark when Calum Huckerby's cross from the left flew in despite Tiago Duarte's best efforts.

Striker Ryan Le Cornu nodded in with ten minutes remaining to edge St Ouen ahead, but they needed two excellent saves from Luke Duncan to remain in front before Huckerby's second, from close range, put the result beyond doubt.

The Ouennies had gone into the contest sitting at the foot of Jersey Premiership 1 in the sole relegation spot, with no wins and five draws from their opening ten league fixtures.

In heavy rain, the lively Elliott Hughes caused plenty of early problems down the Wanderers left. His dangerous looking cross midway through the first half flew across the six-yard box, just evading an outstretched Le Cornu.

St Ouen skipper Jay Curtis curled an effort narrowly off target as the home side racked up a series of corners and looked the more likely of the two to open the scoring.

St Ouen v Wanderers match action
Wanderers stay in fourth spot with 10 points from their 10 league games

Two minutes before half-time, though, it was the visitors who went ahead when a lovely cross from the right found Geraldo unmarked in the area. His looping header initially looked like it was going over but dipped just enough to drop in below the crossbar and put Wanderers in front at half time.

Duarte was certainly the busier of the two goalkeepers, and early in the second period saw two efforts from Jack Steel fly wide of his righthand post before Le Cornu riffled one into the side netting.

The equaliser finally came on the hour, with the crossbar at that end again seemingly desperate to see balls surprisingly dip in beneath it, this time when Huckerby's curling cross found its way in.

The pitch was getting heavier as the game wore on. St Ouen substitute El Stephens had been on the pitch just a few minutes when his left-footed cross from the right was judged to perfection, as Le Cornu beat Duarte to the ball to head home at the near post.

Wanderers responded well with their best attacking spell of the game. A rasping shot from Max Corbett was tipped onto the bar before Jules Gabbiadini's excellent strike was also turned away by Duncan. Josh Coutanche had gone close in the closing stages too, but Huckerby's lunging block kept it at 2-1.

With Chris Andrews' side pushing for the equaliser, Hughes gave chase to a through-ball at the other end. Rather than look to the corner to eat up precious seconds, he opted to whip in a low cross which was parried out into the path of Huckerby who calmly slotted in to secure the three points for the home team.

After weeks of postponements caused by wet weather, the two other scheduled Premiership 1 fixtures also went ahead on Saturday. Grouville's 4-2 victory over St Paul's ensured that St Ouen stay bottom. Meanwhile, St Clement's 4-1 win against St Brelade, helped by a Karl Hinds double, keeps the Anchors hot on the heels of leaders St Peter.

The results mean just three points separate St Brelade in third spot (with 11 points) from St Ouen in seventh (8 points).

St Ouen: Luke Duncan, Callum Coote, Calum Huckerby, Daniel Huelin, Joe Murphy, Josh Coudrais, Jack Steel, Jay Curtis, Scott Welsh, Ryan Le Cornu, Elliott Hughes. Subs: El Stephens, Harry Kidman, Joe Brizell.

Jersey Wanderers: Tiago Duarte, James Cannard, Zac Traynor, Max Corbett, Tim de Luca, Alex Durance, Renato Geraldo, Jules Gabbiadini, Ollie Thompson, Jamie Mourant, Josh Coutanche. Subs: Claudio Pereiras, Aidan Johnstone, Andre Marques, Callum Bailey, Miguel Freitas.